Monday, July 18, 2005

Monday Musings

So the normally hapless Royals showed a little life yesterday in completing a split with Detroit. The fight (if that's what you want to call it) wouldn't have even happened is Carlos Guillen wasn't such a giant pussy trying to work a free base out of a possibly hit toe. He won't admit it but, I'm sure Runelvys Hernandez said to himself "you want to be hit by a pitch? Here..." I don't agree with him going at his head, but Guillen did need to be drilled.

---

Jennie FinchDanica Patrick
Watched the ESPYs last night. Overall it was pretty dull stuff. I did enjoy Matthew Perry's parodies of Hoosiers and Friday Night Lights. Schill and the Sox won a couple of awards. The USA women's softball team won an award, and we got to see Jennie Finch and Cat Osterman in some pretty stunning dresses. Aye carrumba! Cat also won "Best Female College Athlete." Normally I'd have been happy they saved Destiny's Child for the very end, so I could change the channel, but I wanted to see SportsCenter from Fenway so I was stuck. Bleah. Oh yeah, Danica looked great, too!

---

Interesting series between the Sox and Yanks over the weekend. Yanks showed a lot of testicular fortitude coming back from that severe ass-pounding they got on Friday night to win the last two games of the set. What exactly was in the water in Miami that made Al Leiter suck? He was outstanding last night. Still a lot of baseball left, though. Hopefully the Sox can get it turned around and hang onto the AL East lead.

---

In non-sports stuff, I got to see Charlie & The Cocolate Factory on Saturday morning. I was skeptical, since I grew up with and loved the Gene Wilder version, but hopeful since Tim Burton and Johnny Depp rarely let me down. Suffice it to say I was extremely impressed. I also love the IMAX theater at the AMC Studio 30 in Olathe. I'm going back there tonight to catch "Batman Begins" in IMAX before it goes away completely.

14 Comments:

Blogger Adam said...

espy's are over-rated...

July 18, 2005 12:56 PM  
Blogger Whooter said...

I know. I wouldn't have even bothered watching, but I was too lazy to change the channel after the Sox-Yankees game...

July 18, 2005 1:39 PM  
Blogger Sam said...

any pics of Osterman and Finch? My cousin was impressed by the life-sized cardboard cutout of Finch at Scheels.

July 18, 2005 1:43 PM  
Blogger Whooter said...

Working on a Cat pic. Pix of Jennie and Danica Patrick have been added...

July 18, 2005 2:19 PM  
Blogger Sam said...

just for that... I'll ask adam to be surprisingly gentile when you show up for MP movie night.

July 18, 2005 2:22 PM  
Blogger Whooter said...

Is Froemming a Jewish name?

July 18, 2005 2:47 PM  
Blogger Sam said...

i believe it's german.

July 18, 2005 3:06 PM  
Blogger Whooter said...

That he would be gentile is hardly surprising, then. ;)

July 18, 2005 4:00 PM  
Blogger Emily said...

Farnsworth running around looking for Affeldt (then bulldozing him) was one of the most bizarre things I'd ever seen...like Don Zimmer charging Pedro only way more pointless. I love a little brawl here and there, but that was just ridiculous.

July 18, 2005 9:35 PM  
Blogger Sam said...

Emily, it's the second time Farnsworth has pile-driven somebody on a baseball field-- Remember Paul Wilson in Cincinnati a couple years ago?

Personally, I think Farnsworth is a pussy. I mean, he only picks on pitchers-- first Wilson, now Affeldt. If he thinks he's tough, why not take on David Ortiz? Then again, he might just be looking for some action-- in which case, I say "get a room!"

July 18, 2005 10:42 PM  
Blogger Adam said...

Froemming's German you dolt...

:-)

Bad News Bears is hilarious...

July 19, 2005 11:09 AM  
Blogger Whooter said...

Well, Wilson did charge Farnsworth last time around so that's forgiveable. Dunno why he had it in for Jeremy, though...

July 19, 2005 11:50 AM  
Blogger AJ said...

Hey Joel....

WHERE'S MY CAT PIC!?!?!?!

You're slacking man.

July 24, 2005 9:52 PM  
Blogger Whooter said...

Dude, the ESPY's are apparently such a non-event that even ESPN hasn't come up with a picture of her at the show. Disappointing...

July 25, 2005 2:34 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home