Thursday, June 09, 2005

We're National Champs! In your face, losers!

This is something that's bothered me for awhile, and it got brought back to the forefront last night as I watched the final game of the Women's College World Series. I don't have a problem with Michigan winning (It's hard for me to hate girls just because they chose the wrong school.) My rant doesn't even concern who won or lost.

My problem is this: sometime ago, someone at the NCAA (I'm assuming) thought it would be a magnificent idea to throw "National Champ" t-shirts and hats at the winning team, mere seconds after the final out/buzzer/whatever, while both teams are still on the field and prior to any postgame handshakes, etc.

I can't blame the kids for putting this stuff on (what else are they gonna do with it?), but would it be so bad to wait until after things like the handshake and trophy presentations, when teams have retired to their lockerrooms to hand these things out? The people in the stands and watching on TV, unless they're irretrievably stupid, know who just won the championship. Who do these things benefit at that particular moment?

The losing team already knows they lost. Do they really need to go through a handshake line with the winning team already wearing "We're #1" hats and t-shirts? It'd be nice if the winners didn't have to (intentionally or not) rub the losers' noses in it.

It'd be nice if a coach or team captain or somebody took a stand and said "If we win this thing, and they hand out hats & t-shirts, don't put them on until after handshakes, etc."

But then, I'm all about nice, aren't I?

3 Comments:

Blogger Adam said...

Eh, I'm kind of partial to giving out the shirts. I've never been a part of a national champion, but I've been a part of some conference champions, and the emotion is so intense. If nothing else, the other team was the runner up to something great...

June 10, 2005 8:46 AM  
Blogger AJ said...

That's a grade A rant my friend.

Well done.

PS - Seems you're really picked up the pace the last few days. Let your hatred continue to flow. I couldn't be more proud.

:)

June 16, 2005 10:15 PM  
Blogger AJ said...

You know what's bad? When we won the title in 95, they did the same thing, and we threw those t-shirts on in 2 seconds. Well, later on we found out that in our celebrating, we forgot to shake hands with the losing team.

To this day, I still feel guilty about being a bunch of pricks and stiffing our opponent in the post-game handshake.

Moral of the story? I'm a dick.

June 18, 2005 10:11 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home